Gerund or Infinitive (1)




Are there lots of gossip around your office?  Does Mr. or Ms. Nosy always talk about you? How can you get rid of him/her?  Well, I don’t have answers to them.


Yet, what I have is to discuss grammar with you regarding gossiping. In other words, gossiping can help you learn spoken English.  How?  Read the following sentences:





a. I don’t like speaking behind Mr. Nosy’s back.
b. I don’t like to speak behind Mr. Nosy’s back. 


The only difference between the two sentences is the words in blue. So the question is: 'SPEAKING' or 'TO SPEAK'.   



-------------------------------------------
There are two things to talk about here.  First, concerning meaning, are they the same?  NO, they are NOT the same.  Second, so how different are they?  VERY different. 



-------------------------------------------

 
I don’t like speaking …’ is much more general.  What do I mean by ‘general’?  Well, ‘I don’t like speaking…’ applies to everyone. That is, your boss, your senior and junior coworkers, and including YOU yourself.



Yet, ‘I don’t like to speak ’ is much much much less general that it is only about one person.  Who is that person?  You may make a guess.  Three letters, not four.  Which three?  Y-O-U.



-------------------------------------------
So the Feel Good tips are:


When you say ‘I don’t like to speak behind Mr. Nosy’s back’, you talk about how good you are.  It is only about YOU.



When you say I don’t like speaking behind Mr. Nosy’s back’, you refer to EVERYBODY in your office, which includes you.
                                       





(Which one is you?)






Picture sources
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76029035@N02/6829422155/sizes/m/in/photostream/

No comments:

Post a Comment